Filed under: fear and loathing, geek chic, my melody, obscure pop culture references, work and play | Tags: allergies, angry, bad attitude, bad day, booze, cigarette, coworker, cranky, craptastic computer, fast food addict, hard drive, lunch, roommate, softball, traffic, yoga
when i heard fuel’s “bad day” on the radio last night, i didn’t realize it was gonna be such nasty foreshadowing in the life of me.
woke up late.
woke up cranky.
woke up sore from yoga.
woke up with puffy, puffy eyes from an allergy attack.
had a quick roommate bitchfest.
hit ridiculous traffic. again.
couldn’t start my craptastic computer.
found out my ‘puter’s hard drive committed suicide. already.
spent most the morning not working. and not in a fun way.
spent a lot of money i don’t have.
had to make a lunch, per the fast food fast.
burnt my hand on lunch.
dropped my hot lunch facedown on the dirty floor and into an open box of printer paper.
dropped hot lunch in front of coworker.
cried over hot lunch. (who cries over dropping something?!)
smoked a cigarette.
taste like an ashtray.
dreading softball game tonight.
driving to game tonight equals no booze.
can’t skip game or team will have to forfeit.
annoyed by coworker’s voice.
annoyed with my negative attitude.
not changing my negative attitude anyway.
Filed under: obscure pop culture references, sporty spice | Tags: athlete, biking, cloud nine, endorphins, exercise, fast food addiction, gym, happy, running, sweaty, workout
i’m so proud of myself it makes me wanna puke:
i went to the gym last night. for two hours (ish).
and i rocked. (well, i rocked harder than most out-of-shape, slightly round, lazy lil ladies out there.) i ran, i biked (i hate biking), i stretched. and THEN i sweated out all my toxins in the sauna.
and i loved it. (literally — cloud nine all night, which is saying a lot considering the funk i was in the rest of the day because of the rain.)
and i plan to go back tonight. as a reformed tomboy/athlete, i always forget how much i enjoy the overwhelming serenity of a good workout. again, if i just put it out there on the internet, i now have some form of accountability.
Filed under: a few of my favorite things, my melody, the cat's meow | Tags: animals, beautiful, book, brand new, happy, heart, hugs, kisses, pretty things, smile, vacation places
i have a tendency to obsess over things when i decide i like them. today’s happy obsession is the dedication page in my next literary conquest, “extremely loud and incredibly close” by jonathan safron foer. It reads:
My idea of beautiful.
It’s so simple, yet it makes my whole heart smile inside.
And it makes me think of all the niceties in life that encompass my personal definition of beautiful…
(in no particular order) the word “beautiful”. bizzi. blank journals. brand new lyrics. smoothies. yoga. golden retrievers. italy. sandy white beaches. sunshine. mojitos. cozy hoodies and loose-fitting sweatpants. black and white photography. big earrings and gaudy accessories. pedicures. wine tasting. exploring. laziness. san francisco. snail mail. flip flops. enchanted. lake chelan. super duper happy pink. naptime. this picture. a good book. dolphins. people watching. forehead kisses. hugs from my nieces.
… and so on, and so on.
Filed under: a few of my favorite things, fear and loathing, party star, perfectly impossible, sporty spice | Tags: capitals, chik fil a, drinking, gym, hockey, running, work out
… i’m going to the gym tonight.
i’m going to the gym tonight, and i’m going to like it. i’m going to run, i’m going to sweat, and i’m going to make my muscles scream at me.
and i’m going to start going three times a week at least once a week.
and i’m going to forget chik fil a exists.
i’m not going to drink and i’m going to the gym and i’m no longer eating chikin and i’m going to like my decision on all counts.
there. i said it. so now i gotta do it.
Filed under: bestest friends, celebrity worship, party star, perfectly impossible, sporty spice, work and play | Tags: birthday, blonde, bridal shower, bridesmaid, denver, drinking, girls night out, gym, martini, maryland, money, softball, tax, tequila, tornado, vodka, washington, weather, wedding
as promised, i’ve been fairly silent since the beginning of april. that doesn’t mean my life has been the same.
since we last met:
– my quarter century mark passed without a hitch. (well, at least, i don’t remember much of a hitch. rumor has it i did fall face first into a cat-piss-covered futon at an apartment just outside of denver after throwing back shots of tequila and yelling at my friend for paying more attention to a trio of creepy men than her Royal Birthdayness.)
– speaking of denver, it’s gorgeous there. i miss mountains.
– took a work trip back to my homeland where i tried to squeeze in seeing all the people i love (except poem, who makes it a point to avoid the office when i’m around), several hours of meetings and planning sessions, frequenting martini bars and other haunts of my past, and catching up on sleep. excedrin pm is my new best friend.
– i got me another “al castle rocks” t-shirt. (be jealous.) actually, got me another three “al castle rocks” t-shirts because, in classic al castle form, the genius behind the t-shirt wasn’t sure what size i am now since i’ve surely gained weight since he last saw me.
– i had my first bridesmaid breakdown for the wedding i’m in this summer. after hopping from plane to plane and driving up and down washington state, earlier-mentioned denver friend’s mother made me burst into tears after i showed up two hours late to a bridal shower i wasn’t even supposed to be at — further proof that weddings are the devil and that i should not be forced into familial obligations when i’m jet-lagged, cranky and retardedly hungover.
– april 15. tax day. need i say more? well, i will. virginia tax day is coming up, too, and my bank account is quickly dwindling. my new year’s resolution isn’t going so well.
– my newer resolution to cut back on the chik fil a and get back into shape is also not going so well. i think if you take the time to sign up for a gym membership, you should automatically lose 5 pounds for showing initiative. that would be a much better motivator than the weekly “you’re-a-fat-ass” e-mails they send me.
– Pithy and i went to Shecky’s Girls Night Out. For $25, we got free goody bags and samples. The goody bags were pretty much worth it (i now have a lifetime supply of shampoo and lotions), but the next time i pay money for “free food and beverages” i’d better get more than a lean cuisine topped off by a drop of vodka — especially when i venture into a high-brow city event with the plague i carried back from the pacific northwest. (my apologies now to any lovely ladies i may have infected with my whooping cough.) i did, however, help convince Miss Pith to throw a Slumber Party. should make for a rollickingly inappropriate good time.
– i’ve gone back to my roots quite literally. it’s been four years since i decided i’d had enough of my over-possessive blonde-loving college boyfriend and grabbed my first box of auburn-brown dye. my love affair with the dark side continued through my lindsay lohan girl-crush days and on, ’til i fell for kristen bell’s blonde pixie cut. which brings me to today. i’m blonde again.
– i joined a co-ed softball team, which plays its first game on Wednesday. although i grew up playing the sport, i haven’t thrown, caught or hit a ball in about eight years and i’m absolutely terrified. i joined this so-called “drinking league” after being promised no one would be too competitive and i’d get lots of free beer. 16 THOUSAND e-mails later, i’m convinced these were just lies to get more women on the team so they wouldn’t have to forfeit.
– two tornadoes touched down in maryland last night. ummmm, excuse me?? they have tornadoes in maryland? whose idea was it to move east again? where’s the sunshine and humidity i signed up for?
Filed under: a few of my favorite things, geek chic, work and play | Tags: blog, design, theme, widget
i changed my blog theme (as if you couldn’t tell), but i don’t know if i like it. it’s not very flipfloppy.
but i sure love me some pink.
Filed under: a few of my favorite things, celebrity worship, fear and loathing, obscure pop culture references, perfectly impossible, sporty spice | Tags: beer, birthday, books, brothers and sisters, gilmore girls, grey's anatomy, gym, healthy, lip gloss, quarter life crisis, shopping, tv shows, wine
i’ve been MIA lately, as I’ve been turning my attention away from my (craptastic) computer and toward spiritual enlightenment and personal well-being. I’ve joined a gym, bought some books and vowed to start eating healthier.
Instead, I’ve gone to the gym twice and become obsessed with sitting on my (roommate’s) new couch while watching TV shows that other people have long since preached about: Grey’s Anatomy, Brothers and Sisters, Gilmore Girls… I can’t pull myself away from my (roommate’s) new flat-screen in the living room — unless, of course, to grab a glass of wine, beer or some other form of liquid deliciousness. I’ve also managed to get some much-deserved retail therapy* in as the sweet, sweet, remaining hours of my early 20s rapidly diminish.**
So as you can see, I’ve been extremely busy lately. I apologize for the lack of updates and warn you that they’ll probably be even further and far between these next few weeks as I hop back and forth across the country.
*In the throes of my impending quarter-life crisis, I apparently decided to buy $40 lip gloss. Please do not let me give this lip gloss away to a homeless person in lieu of cash. (it’s strangely enough been known to happen.)
** Please also do not hurt me for insinuating that life is over at 25. I know most of my readers are part of the walking dead and still in denial about it. I’m just helping you come to terms with it. We can be here for each other in this time of darkness.