Filed under: a few of my favorite things
as i anxiously squeezed out the last of my origins facewash, i realized, “dear god, i can’t live without certain luxuries.”
when did i become so high maintenance? (answer: i always have been. oh, the joy of having terrible skin as a child.) i’ll admit — i was a dior whore for many, many years. but when your favorite brand repeatedly breaks your heart by discontinuing your favorite products, you need to find a more reliable product.
i always love hearing about other women’s go-to products, so here’s a list of mine:
- origins never a dull moment face cleanser. like i said, dior crushed my loyalty. so I went to origins. i have acne-prone skin* — or at least i did before i used this face wash. i seriously haven’t had more than two teeny, tiny breakouts since i started using this product. (knock on wood.) i change up my face lotion regularly, so this is the only constant in my skin-care routine. because everyone’s skin is so, so different, i will preempt this recommendation with the note that i have oily/combination skin, and i use it twice a day.
- kiehls olive fruit oil nourishing conditioner. i have terrible hair. no, seriously. it’s thick and wavy in that really ugly way that makes you feel sorry for it. this conditioner? FIXED THAT. honestly, i’m obsessed. i lather it on a few times a week for five minutes at a time, and it has softened, tamed and prettified my unruly mop top. it doesn’t even matter what shampoo you leave in — THIS WORKS. (capitalization necessary, i love this product THAT MUCH).
- l’oreal hair dye. [before you say anything, yes, i realize this might contribute to my thick, wavy, unruly disaster show of a mane, but i don't care. now that i use the right conditioner (see above), it all balances out! please don't tell my hair dresser friends i said this] so, i’m cheap. i would much prefer to spend my money on happy hours and new clothes. so spending $200+ to dye my hair every few months is just not an option. i’ve been dying my hair with l’oreal for years, and it hasn’t fallen out yet! (note: i will always shell out the money for a professional when i go lighter. blonde is NOT better when it comes to box dye. trust.)
- nars makeup. i’m lucky enough to have a friend who gives me free makeovers and samples whenever i want. and she’s lucky enough to know that i will drop the money for good makeup when i can find it. nars has the best eye shadow duos and foundation. go try it.
- mac eye kohl. the first non-liquid eyeliner i’ve used since high school — and i haven’t gone back.
- opi “lincoln park after dark” nail polish. yes, it’s almost a cop out to put this on my list since it’s so popular. but honestly, i have yet to find a color that looks this good on so many skin tones.
*honestly, Dove soap is where it’s at if you can’t find anything else that works. it’s gentle and CHEAP. try it before you try something ridiculously expensive.
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment